Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado

3 out of 5 stars

This is a book that I desperately wanted to love. After all, I am a total foodie and nothing helps me devour a book like lustful descriptions of my all time favorite, the pastry. Gesine did a delightful job recounting her story. A Hollywood cog burnt out on Hollywood life, discovers a love of baking, moves to Vermont with her Husband and on the fly opens a bakery. She recounts her struggles in becoming a baker and small business owner, as well as, shares a little of her personal life. I was fascinated to read about her mother, a beautiful German opera singer, who sadly died to young. I loved reading about her experiences in Germany, with her family, the traditions they shared and the food that came to shape her. I especially enjoyed the part when she went on a sugar bender through the neighborhood. Each chapter ends with a mouth watering recipe, which I loved! She did have a poor me tendency, which after awhile I found bothersome. But in all, it was a fun (and quick) read. Oh and by the way, she's Sandra Bullocks sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment