Monday, August 2, 2010

Committed - Elizabeth Gilbert

4/5 stars.

Everybody has heard about Eat, Pray, Love. You may have avoided reading the book and you may avoid watching the movie when it comes out later this month, but you have certainly heard of the book. Who hasn't? The book was reviewed and its author interviewed in every major publication, from the NYT to Oprah. It was a very good book (I enjoyed it immensely). When my friend lent me this book, I thought "okay, do not be disappointed if it's not as good as EPL." Turns out, this book is also very good, in a different way. It focuses on one topic -marriage- and is more serious than the first one, as it provides information about the history and sociology of marriage and married people.


The man Gilbert loves, Felipe, is from Brazil and is an Australian citizen. One day, coming back from a trip abroad, the US customs detained Felipe and told him he could never go back to the US unless he and Gilbert married. That was a problem, since both of them decided that they were fine living together without being married, thank you very much (both went through painful divorces). I find the title particularly good, since Gilbert end up committed to marriage, but fears that the institution might trap her (as in "committed" in a real hospital/institution). Elizabeth Gilbert takes us on her very personal journey of coming to terms with being married, since it is the only way she and Felipe can live together in the US.

Her insights into marriage are fascinating. I learnt that the early church didn't want people to get married in order to stay pure (this still applies to priests and nuns and monks). I loved reading about the fact that though governments tried to control marriage (who can get married to whom is just one example), ultimately the intimacy that happens behind closed doors only belongs to two people. I enjoyed discovering other cultures' idea of marriage: the Hmongs, for instance, live in community and get much of their happiness from this sense of belonging, so they don't expect their spouse to fulfill their every need.

The book is easy to read, definitely interesting, and, as in EPL, Gilbert's tone is personal, funny, and touching. I highly recommend Committed. I give it only 4 stars because I feel that to deserve 5 a book has to inspire me and has to leave an indelible mark. This book is really enjoyable, but might not make it on my all time favorites list.

1 comment:

  1. First and foremost, it's great to have you posting again. I am so happy that you've reviewed this book, it's been in the back of my head as a possible read for a while. Now it's on my hold list at the library.

    ReplyDelete