Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Wishing Year - Noelle Oxenhandler

3 Stars / 5

This books recounts one year of the author's life, in which she decided to apply the power of positive thinking to reach three goals: find a spiritual community, own a house, and find love.

I found this book quite refreshing, mainly because the author refrains from "The Secret" type of methodology. Yes, the main premise is similar (positive thinking is the key to getting what you want) but unlike most books on the topic, her quest is not monetary or uber-materialistic. Oxenhandler analyses the positive thinking movement from as far back as the Greek philosophy and doesn't take a simplistic view of this form of wishing -even though she sometimes gives in to tricks such as wishing only in 8-syllable sentences. The bottom line of her experiment is that you have to think positively and act on what you wish for. Wishing alone will not work.

This book worked for me because I read it when I needed it. Had I read it at another time, I might have thought it was one of many nice-but-without-substance books on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment